View Single Post
Old 05-23-2023, 01:46 PM   #12
JayJay

Default Re: 1930 model a leaking water

Somewhere along the line someone pushed my overflow tube down so it was about an inch above the baffle (I presume when they installed the MotoMeter). I like to fill my radiator so at rest I can see fluid above the baffle. So, each time I filled into the upper tank it ran out the overflow tube, and more so running. I reached down and bent (carefully) the overflow tube up and into the neck. This allowed me to fill into the tank. That problem solved.

Another coolant leak point - I noticed coolant on the ground underneath the front of the muffler! I found the muffler had rusted out, and coolant (presumably leaking into the exhaust from a breach in the head gasket) collected in the muffler and eventually leaked out the hole. Probably has been going on for some time, as the muffler is at least 35 years old. This also could explain the slight exhaust smell in the cabin. I will put some muffler patch goop on it and will replace the muffler after I replace the head gasket.

UPDATE: got the muffler off and the hole is obvious, about 1/4" x 3/4". However, rather than being rotted metal, it's clear that somewhere in its life (I've only had the car since last October 2022) something impacted the muffler and punctured it. The metal all around is good and solid. So instead of gooping it up I found some sheet metal and welded a patch on it (although nobody will ever confuse me with a real welder!). That should hold it indefinitely. Still gotta figure out how that coolant got into the muffler, but that's a different issue.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 05-23-2023 at 07:39 PM.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote