View Single Post
Old 05-07-2023, 07:04 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: Replacing the Thermostat in my '56 312ci.

Tough lesson to learn.

Regarding thermostat housings, I always put studs in the intake rather than using bolts where possible.. Easier to get the housing on and it saves the threads on an aluminum intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
I'm slowing working my way...and learning....through the 1956 Thunderbird my wife and I bought back in October 2022.

I'm fairly well acquainted with pre and post war flatheads, but this one is brand new to me.

This car tends to run cool....173* at the radiator with an infrared thermometer and I'm trying to get my original temp. gauge to register accurately. So, I thought I'd check to see what kind of thermostat was in the car. Turns out it was a 160* and I'm putting in a 180* to see how that changes things.

In the process, I cleaned up the housing that attaches to the intake manifold and replaced the gasket. Everything went back together until I tightened the two 5/16 bolts that holds the housing on the manifold.

Unfortunately, I should have read the instructions on torquing them to 12 to 15 ft. lbs. found in the Shop Manual. Of course, trying to get everything leak proof, I overdid it and cracked the housing. Yet another lesson learned!! (and $60 later for a new housing and gasket!!)
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)