View Single Post
Old 05-02-2023, 07:54 PM   #4
nkaminar

Default Re: Brake Adjustment

First, the brakes must be in good shape. The instructions say to adjust the brakes so that the rears do most of the work. I am not sure that is the best idea. I have been experimenting with biasing the braking to the front by backing off the rears a little and tightening up the fronts a little. The braking is definitely better by doing this. One cavaet: I have replaced the front actuating arms with rear ones. The rear ones are longer than the stock front ones.

When adjusting the brakes for the first time after a brake job, the real test is a panic stop at 20 mph. The car should stop within 25 feet and not pull to one side or the other. If the car pulls, tighten up the front brake on the side opposite to the pull. Once the brakes are well adjusted, it only takes an equal tightening on all wheels when it comes time to re adjust them. I should add that once the rods are the proper length they should not be adjusted. The proper length gives the right angle to the levers front and rear.

Update: My biasing my brakes to the front I was able to decrease my panic stop at 20 mph from 21 feet to 17 feet. The rears still skid but the fronts don't. In normal driving the brakes are a lot better.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 05-29-2023 at 04:41 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote