View Single Post
Old 04-29-2023, 09:40 PM   #17
rotorwrench

Default Re: What species of wood

The USDA had a boll weevil eradication program for years. I had several customers that had long running government contracts to spray the cotton with straight malathion. The boll weevils stopped showing up in the traps so they finally shut the program down. The USDA may be capable of doing this with tree species that are considered an agricultural resource but some one would have to lobby reps in affected states to get it done. Many hardwoods are considered resources but getting the government interested is not as easy as common sense would make it out to be.

I can purchase a wood base for my 1929 Sport Coupe (same as other Coupes in 1928/29). The cost is up there so I took a good look at the original and found out why. The three cross members had long tongues cut into them so they fit grooves cut into the side members. The way they cut the grooves required each side member to be made with three narrow pieces so that they could cut the grooves through with a radial saw blade. They likely glued all those strips together and then assembled the base with glue and nails. They made no less than 10 separate pieces to fabricate each one those base assemblies. To look at it from a distance and it looks like five pieces. Looks can be deciving.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-29-2023 at 09:56 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote