View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 10:10 PM   #18
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Full flow remote oil filter kit for a late flathead V8

I've ran both types of systems - 95% (67%) and 100% with the special pump mods. Couple comments:

1) Whether it's a 67% or 100% system - the size of the oil lines and feed holes to the block can be increased in size. Both systems are subject to the same issue. I modify my blocks to use a 3/8" NPT fitting at the back of the block and I drill out the horizontal oil passage that Ronnie is talking about. That is a good mod regardless of which system you use.

2) 100% System - Custom Pump: I have HARD lines inside the oil pan - connected to the bottom of the pump and through the side of the oil pan. I use a "bulkhead" style fitting through the oil pan.

3) I run #8 flexible lines from the pan, through my oil filter and back into the block. That means the ID is 1/2" - will flow much more than our little pumps can ever put out.

4) I've modified an original "Fram Style" oil filter cannister to hide a full-flow filter inside of it.

I prefer the 100% system - though it is a bit more of a pain in the ass to setup. And putting the oil pan on takes a bit of juggling (far easier on an engine stand than in the car).

I don't agree with the 95% claim anyway - I also call it a 67% system as 2 out of 3 mains have filtered oil. If a piece of crap gets into your oil system and is pumped through the rear main, it will score the bearing - that is the chance you take with a 67% system. Now, If you build really clean engines (as Ronnie does) and are meticulous on how you clean/prep/deburr blocks, assemble them properly, know how to maintain them and don't allow any pieces of sand or casting flash get into your oil - then the 67% system is just fine.

I like oil filters . . . have never seen a modern car without one.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote