View Single Post
Old 03-03-2023, 06:42 AM   #2
DkFordor

Default Re: Embarking on a Laycock-overdrive odyssey

Part 2: Mechanical approach and questions

I have no extra torque tube and drive shaft to modify for the install - these seem to be difficult to come by here. Therefore we are considering to manufacture the necessary pieces in order to keep the original setup in stock just in case. This would include two drive shaft pieces connecting the Ford transmission to the OD input drive shaft, and the OD output to the pinion gear. I do realize that the splines may be difficult to make, but if I cant find a drive shaft this appears to be the only way forward.
  • Has anyone taken this approach, and what would the pitfalls and challenges be?

For now the working idea is to use flanges suitably welded onto drive shafts, thus connecting the output of the Ford to the drive shaft of the OD, and an additional drive shaft connecting the output flange of the OD to the pinion. This should ensure reasonable balancing and straightness of the total drive shaft pieced together.
The entire setup will be closed into a new torque tube consisting of two sections with the OD in between.
  • Any experience or opinion on this strategy?
  • Would the manufactured drive shafts need balancing nonetheless?

The input side of the OD is designed to be bolted onto the Volvo gearbox it came from, and to share the oil with it. Thus we need to close off the OD, and provide an oil seal around the drive shaft exiting the box. I have also the original spacers between the units - and aluminum casing - and will try to utilize that.
  • Any opinions on the type of oil seal? What is a typical lifetime of such an oil seal?
  • Any experience about the total amount of oil necessary for the OD? (Not the level, but the total quantity)
  • Do they run hot when in use? Ie would it benefit from additional oil capacity?

One of the ODs has provision for a speedo cable attachment, where the Volvo it came from provides a few possible ratios. None match the model A ratio very well.
How have people solved the speedo issue in other OD setups?
  • Can anyone provide schematics or pictures of the mechanical setup they have used - ie what braces, brackets etc are used, what is the placement of the OD on the torque tube, is the unit suspended etc?
DkFordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)