View Single Post
Old 01-19-2023, 11:10 AM   #11
McMimmcs

Default Re: Movie Cars...Have You Done It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
My '22 and '28 roadsters and '28 OCPU were used in the 3-part TV miniseries "A Women of Independent Means" starring and produced by Sally Fields in 1994. The film was made in the Houston area, and I brought the cars to the filming sites and was even filmed in a few clips. My father-in-law also ‘starred’ in several scenes. This was a wonderful, educational, and enjoyable experience.

Sally was seldom seen as she stayed in her trailer most of the time. I made friends with her actor husband, Jack Thompson, an Australian actor who spoke with an Australian or Texas drawl. The ’28 roadster was his car in the movie, and I taught him how to drive the Model A. I was with the cars except for one night when they made a plywood shell for the pickup bed to make it to look like a mail truck.

The food they prepared daily was plentiful and tasty. As I recall, I was paid $200 per day for each car plus extra money when I was used in the film. They paid extra if you had a speaking role, but I didn’t have any speaking part.

My only problem was that Sally put a minor scratch in the dash of the roadster with a picnic basket at Bud Adam’s ranch. The scratch is still there and makes for a good conversation piece. The filming was done primarily at the ranch, Houston, Galveston and briefly near Clear Lake. I drove the cars to these locations and had to remove the license plates before each filming.

Hopefully they paid to have the scratch repaired! Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote