View Single Post
Old 01-15-2023, 01:26 PM   #57
GB SISSON

Default Re: Testing blocks in the home shop

I dropped off a new head gasket and water pump gasket at my buddy's fab shop so he could get the software in the cutting table computor. I mentioned I would need a price and also mentioned the out of stock speedway kit was about 250.00 with gauge and rubber gasketed bolts. His response was the labor is in the programming etc, then he can make as many parts as I want. I'm not soliciting orders here but let's just say the guy kinda grimmaced when I gave him the speedway 250.00 number. I have not heard from him and it's been 3 weeks at least. He seemed to think with that many head bolts, 1/4" plate should be fine. As much as I hate going to UPS or Post office and waiting in line (24 mile round trip).... But for yucks is anybody interested in a set of the plates? His machine 'drills' the bolt holes too. If it's too spendy in the end I will just use heads. And to revisit my magnet question, would garden varity electrical wire (as opposed to armature winding special wire) work ok? My research says a magnet in a horseshoe shape is the most powerful. PS We're going to the dump today... Our county dump includes a warehouse called 'the exchange' where folks drop of useable stuff they no longer need. Would romex house wire with the casing stripped off be an ok choice?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 01-15-2023 at 01:31 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote