View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 12:30 PM   #28
GB SISSON

Default Re: Testing blocks in the home shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
My idea is to bolt on the heads and water pumps. Use short lengths of radiator hose with freeze plugs clamped in the ends to block off. Get a cheap leak detector kit that uses florescent dye and a black light. Use the dye meant for oil and mix with Diesel fuel and fill the block. You will need little or no pressure as Diesel is good at wicking its way through tiny cracks. Carefully drain the diesel fuel, pull the heads and use the black light to look for cracks.
I like this. Sounds like it would be hard to miss a crack with this system. I would still use rubber head gasket and dummy water pumps. This way I'm only testing the block. Amazon has a Mastercraft UV test kit with everything needed for the test. Price is 60 bucks. I have used trailer balls in the past to cap off hoses on my run stand. BUT... With Mark's 55 psi in there the block better be filled with liquid and not much air. Think 'potato cannon'.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote