View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 10:43 PM   #1
left.covst

Post Rebuilt Trans + Torque Tube, Groaning / Grinding On Deceleration

Hello all!

Long time reader, first time poster.

Recently performed some sealing and light rebuilding on my '40 side-loader and torque tube combination under my '34 pickup. A failed throwout bearing had me in there, so I took the time to fix all leaks and install an oil baffle from Bruce for the rear end to end my rear end > torque tube > transmission leak.

I replaced - input shaft bearing, snap rings, throwout bearing, countershaft thrush washers, a bent oil slinger, and all seals. Thoroughly cleaned and re-assembled the transmission. Also replaced the front driveshaft seal and bearing race, cleaned and greased the original torque tube roller bearing.

I also cleaned the torque tube and found my center bearing in visibly good shape, and re-greased it.

At the rear end I found the double nut for the pinion loose, and cranked it down a bit, without much thought to the pre-load / tightness at the time. Installed the baffle at the rear of the torque tube, and re-assembled everything.

Greased the u-joint well and thoroughly with cornhead grease until it made it to the front of the speedo gear.

All went well, and it all went together nicely and sealed up tight. Shifting is perfect, and it was nice and quiet for about 20 miles.

Unfortunately it has since developed a loud groaning / howling noise when in gear and coasting (engine braking). This continues until about 15-10 mph and then quiets down.

Pressing in the clutch will stop the noise, as well as pushing the trans out of gear.

It occurs only when coasting, and disappears as soon as the throttle is applied enough to positively drive the gears + rear end.

In reverse gear the groaning / grinding noise is not present.

I have three suspicious and would appreciate any input before I tear back into things:

1. Pinion nut was too tight - Causing bearing noise due to the pinion bearing.

2. Roller bearing in the torque tube inadequately lubed - Cornhead grease flowed to the top of the speedo gear opening, but I did not continue to pump it into the roller bearing area. Though I did pre-grease that section.

3. The original transmission roller bearing (either on the counter shaft or input-mainshaft ones) which were cleaned, greased, and reinstalled (though perhaps not in their original positions) could have failed or are failing OR the replacement thrust bearings on the countershaft are making noise.
Appreciate anyone's thoughts!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68956241717__794C2CAB-E80E-4C8B-9E10-44A369CA6304.jpg (47.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpeg 68997717999__5EE1D1DE-CB9E-4E7A-947C-21111A3D1A1C.jpeg (77.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0337.jpg (35.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0372.jpg (53.6 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0468.jpg (58.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0522.jpg (55.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0527.jpg (50.1 KB, 547 views)
left.covst is offline   Reply With Quote