View Single Post
Old 11-15-2022, 07:17 AM   #19
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Side Mounted Spares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
Over the summer I painted two rims and tried to mount spare tires for my Victoria. They won't fit in the front fender wells. So frustrating, obviously I didn't get the memo! The old tires were Universal and the new tires are Firestone. The four tires on the road are Firestone. Why would someone install wheel wells that are too small for the Firestone tires? I guess I have to get new whitewall Universal tires for spares. How dumb! Ed
Ed, I read some of the opinions above about the Firestones being too big, ...however that info isn't really correct since the Firestone tires are made the same size as the Station Wagon tires were. Ironically, the S/W tires fit the wheelwell just fine without deflating.

The root of your problem is someone installed the well into the fender -but did not install them correctly. This likely stems back from the days of Rick Freeman and possibly others who did not give correct info on how to install them! (-imagine that!! )

I have included the first two pics of the factory print that have the incorrect info, ...and I have included two uploads (-one pic and one PDF) that shows the incorrect size and location. Notice the shape of well in the first two pics and how wide it was in the center? Also note the length of the well when properly installed into the fender vs. what most people's botched installation looks like. Therein lies your problem, and deflating a tire is merely 'band-aiding' the real issue IMO, and definitely not the Firestone tire's fault either.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3031.jpg (25.5 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg WellPrint.jpg (55.4 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg WellPrint_Notice.jpg (63.0 KB, 293 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WheelWellInstallation.pdf (608.9 KB, 14 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote