View Single Post
Old 11-14-2022, 11:18 AM   #9
GB SISSON

Default Re: Big Truck 2 Speed Rear Axle Parts

It will come as no surprise to most of you that I have a story to share about the 2 speeds... There were 2 brothers about a half mile from here in the early days that farmed and ran a sawmill. One day they told me what happened to the third brother. Back in the 40's he was driving a 5 yard dump truck with a 2 speed axle. He was loading up at the quarry which was on a steep hillside. The handbrake was sketchy but he had it in gear. As he was doing a walk around, the axle shifting mechanism was losing vacuum and it proceded to shift but when it was between the two gears there was nothing holding and the truck rolled over him and ended up in the bay. He died from his injuries 6 months later. That's why I was converting to mechanical linkage.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote