View Single Post
Old 11-12-2022, 12:50 PM   #30
Late model

Default Re: Timing at full advance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutmalt View Post
Mr. Flathead Fever
It also convinces me that this Ford exotic had a HI-Po distributor stock with no vacuum pot nor place for one.
Thanks for the great lesson.
Ron
Ron,

Some thoughts.

The info SCIALA just posted is the best procedure when checking total timing.

Your engine ID plate confirms it's an industrial engine. Most, if not all, industrial engines do not use a vacuum advance because they are usually single speed, and do not need more than 24 degrees of advance because they usually run below 3600 RPM and often have to run on poor grades of fuel. If you do have a high performance distributor someone more than likely changed it from the industrial version.

What type of timing light are you using? The standard version that requires some type of graduated timing marks on the dampener, or an electronic one that uses a screen?
It appears that you had a difficult time finding the right tape and installing it because of access. Are you sure you have the TDC mark on the tape matched with TDC on the dampener? It would be easy to do if you have a lot of stuff in the way. That would explain the lack of advance.

I went back through the posts and didn't find if you confirmed that the TDC mark on the dampener matched TDC of #1 piston by using either a piston stop or check #1 piston valve rock over. It could be that the pulley portion slipped out of position. It happens occasionally.

If you are still seeing a total advance of 24 degrees I would try to find a used or new replacement distributor and see if that brings the advance up to somewhere around 34 degrees.
Let us know if you get it solved.

Don
Late model is offline   Reply With Quote