View Single Post
Old 10-17-2022, 10:19 AM   #18
Seabees

Default Re: Over heating. Can't figure this one out.

Howdy boys, sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. OK, here's the full story. The original engine is worn out, so it got pulled and a replacement was put in. The replacement was .125 over on the bore, but we decided to use it. It ran fine for about two months, then began to overheat. I check the radiator and block with a heat gun and the block was anywhere from 200-230. Way too hot. The radiator was around 170-180. My first thought was timing, so I checked it, right on. Then I thought, not enough flow, so we flowed water through the radiator and block. A little rusty, but not bad, and the radiator seemed to flow adequately. Continued to overheat, so we pulled the pump and it seems normal. Since the engine was bored to .125, I thought that might be an issue. Talked to my builder and he was of the same opinion. They do tend to get hot sometimes. So, the young man who owns the car decided to buy another engine and use it. This engine was taken out of a running car. We watched it run on a stand. Put the engine in and same thing, still overheating in the same spots. The timing is correct, there is no thermostat, and it runs fine, so I don't suspect the head gasket is bad. We pulled the hoses and backflushed the radiator and block. Got some crap out, but not a bunch. Put it back together and same thing, still getting hot. So, I sent him home with it and he bought a cleaning kit for the cooling system, which produced more rusty water, but didn't really help the heating problem. He is going to pull the radiator today and I will take it to the shop and get it taken apart so it can be rodded. It has to be the radiator in my opinion. My reasoning is, the first engine we put in the car had sat for several years with no head on it. Who knows what may have been in the block. Mouse nest? I cleaned out a gas tank that had a rat nest in it once. So, the radiator, even though flowing what looked "ok", may be filled with junk. Yeah, I know, I should have checked this before having him do all the other guess work I had him do! Anyway, that's the plan for now, get that radiator cleaned out for sure. Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted. And yes, I feel like a dumb ass for not paying a little more attention to detail here!
Seabees is offline   Reply With Quote