View Single Post
Old 09-01-2022, 11:38 PM   #12
CWPASADENA

Default Re: In case you want to know the whole story, or an update

Paul,

The biggest Issue I had with the original video was how the crank was measured. Many others also had the same concern.

After seeing how the crank was measured and seeing what appeared to me as a very disorganized shop, I questioned everything the machinist said. I have been in shops that appear to be very disorganized that put out excellent work and perhaps this is the case here but often it is not.

I do not know your mechanist and do not know the reputation of his shop but to me, he came off as essentially saying you have to sink a lot of additional money into the Burtz components in order to have a decent engine. To me, your mechanist's comments appeared to be misleading and that is what got Terry all upset, however, the comment Terry made about the beer was completely uncalled for.

I think a well thought out video about what is involved in completing a Burtz engine would be of interest to a lot of Model A owners. Starting with taking it out of the box, measuring everything, doing the prep on the block and other components etc and ending up with an engine running on the test stand. Of course, this would include any issues that came up and how they were resolved. Perhaps, between you and Terry, such a video can be made.

As a professional engine builder having completed 7 of these engines, I have not found the degree of problems that were pointed out in your video.

My observations.

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 09-01-2022 at 11:39 PM. Reason: TYPO