View Single Post
Old 08-21-2022, 07:36 PM   #19
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Windage tray yes or no

Quote:
Originally Posted by khschs View Post
I did notice the design features of the Milodon windage tray and thought I might incorporate something similar. I will hold minimal clearance on the crank and rods and use 14or 16Ga.for reinforcement. I believe that should be ridgid enough to maintain its integrity.
Keith

I realize your working with a 59A style oil pan. To help with a design for the latter 8ba block Ford actual made an oil pan that includes a complete windage tray assembly it was used on Mercury engines which of course also had the 4 inch stroke crankshafts. If you were able to look at the Mercury oil pan Ford used on the latter 8BA block you will see a perfect example of what to do. The oil pump pickup for this oil pan is an added bonus which you could use on the 59A. The pickup includes metal around the pickup screen area that helps add further windage protection. You could actually use that Mercury pick up with your oil pump and have a good start on what to design around the factory part.

For those who may feel this is a foolish idea take a moment and wonder why Ford would go to all the trouble of designing and including such a foolish idea for a stock flathead. There's actually a simple answer because it actually works. I know on my engines it works heck even the tuners who loose when racing against me know this as well.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 08-21-2022 at 07:51 PM.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote