View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 12:39 PM   #17
Fhane

Default Re: overtight axle nuts

I think larrys40 is on target with a 100lbs. I have read of a way to cut new threads. Old time fix. Clean the threads on the axle of grease and grime. Jack car up so the axle in need will spin slowly when is running. Be careful, have chocked so it doesn’t move. Carefully hold a file against the the damaged thread and as the axle revolves you will cut the size of the axle for retreading. Almost like on a lathe. Now here is the interesting part of the job. Before you start figure was size thread you need for the new nut. Probably the next size smaller would be a metric size. (I cant believe even said that). Go buy a Good Metric nut. Not at some hardware store. Try and buy the nut and thread die at the same time from a good supplier. Explained to parts dealer what you are doing. Tolerances must be correct. Remember usually torque numbers are given for dry, no grease, oil or lube on threads. 100 pounds dry is a lot different than 100 wet, meaning a oiled thread will result in a higher torque reading. I would bet most axle nuts are torqued oiled as most won't consider this factor when reassembling. I forgot to mention to get a chart so you know the diameter of the new size shaft for threading and a good micrometer or accurate means for measuring. You only going to get one shot at this. Good luck.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote