View Single Post
Old 07-30-2022, 01:10 PM   #228
jrvariel48

Default Re: Engine temp rises when I get to cruise speed

I did 2 tests today with the same results

Test 1

85 degrees 42% humidity Sunny, Grill with lower pan
I let it idle for 8 minutes. T-stats opened at about 6 minutes in.
Temp reached 170* and stayed there.

So I'm clear as to where I'm pointing the laser thermometer.
Top tank-On the back of the tank right next to the inlet.

Bottom tank-Aiming down in between the outlet and the radiator hose.
I don't know if these are the best two spots, so someone please fill me in if they're not.
It's hard to point directly at the bottom tank.

My in-car temp gauge said 170*, laser temp at was top tank at 160*, lower tank 130* and the gauge on the head read 170* and gauge on the water pump read 165*.

When I say say water pump gauge, I have a gauge mounted into the heater hose that's coming off the water pump about 10" from the water pump bung.

My guess that the bottom tank temp(130*) and the gauge in the water pump(165*) are different because the coolant is entering the system and heating up there?? Anyone?

I start to drive around town with starts and stops and speeds up to 35 mph.
Temp rise to 190* and bounces between 185* and 190*.

Get onto the high way at 60 mph and I creep up to 200 then 205 degrees. That was about 30 minutes into running at idle, back road driving and highway.

I was on the high way for 7 minutes at 55-65 mph.

When I got off the high way temp was at 205* As I drove stop and go the temp dropped to 200* and then 190*
Low speed seems to be better as it was before.

At 49 minutes in, I pulled back into the driveway to let it idle for a little bit.

In-car gauge read 200*, Top tank read 195*, bottom tank read 170*, head gauge read 200* and water pump gauge read 185*

Test 2

I fashioned a scoop made of cardboard (from a pizza box) and followed the slight angle of the top of the lower pan where it meets the first row of fins on the radiator into the back of the grill right on top of the crank hole. I held it in with a couple of small clips.

It was now 86 degrees outside

I did the same route as before with NO noticeable difference in temperature.

I'm all ears!
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote