View Single Post
Old 07-28-2022, 08:14 PM   #1
Jbday

Default How to Get Title to Grandpa’s A

My grandpa had 3 Model A’s when he passed 35 years ago. My grandma kept them for the a decade or so, until she moved. At that point 3 of the 8 children was given a Model A, my mom being 1 of the 3. It sat in her garage for the past 20 years and this summer has been the first time I have had time and money to invest in getting the Model A running.

I got it running and got insurance for for my mom. Since none of my siblings has ever shown an interest in the Model A, my mom wants to put it in my name. She looked for the title and found my grandpa’s old insurance statement and his registration for historical plates, but couldn’t find the title. I figured that wasn’t that big of a deal and was sure it wouldn’t be too hard for her to get a copy/new title. I was looking into how she could get a new title, when I read on the registration that the plates must be surrendered to the state (Ohio) upon transfer of the title. Then I noticed that the license plate number on the registration is the same as the plates on the Model A.

I am almost certain that the title to the Model A is still in my grandpa’s name, possibly my grandma’s. My grandma passed away about 10 years ago. I am worried that the Model A might have to go back to my grandma’s estate without any paperwork showing that it goes to my mom, but she doesn’t get along with all her siblings and I don’t trust them to not try to put up a fight even though my grandma gave it to my mom before she passed away.

My mom is/was the executor for my grandma. She has reached out to the attorney, but the attorney is out this week. I am hoping that with a copy of both grandparents’ death certificates and documentation of my mom as power of attorney, she can get the title and sign it.

Has anyone had a similar experience, especially in Ohio? There has to be someway to get a title for it. If you bought a piece of property and discovered a vehicle hidden in a barn for the past 20 years you owned it, how would you get that titled?
Jbday is offline   Reply With Quote