View Single Post
Old 07-22-2022, 10:38 AM   #10
SoCalCoupe

Default Re: Bad sender or bad temp gauge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonerag View Post
On my 41, there is a sender port on each head at the base of the water neck (are you sure you don't have one on each side?). I connected the SW mechanical unit to one head and used the original sender on the other. So, stock on pass side, SW gauge on drivers side. The stock gauge shows just right of centre when the SW gauge registers 160C.

For oil I decided to replace the stock sender unit. The stock gauge was registering around 5 PSI, whereas the new SW unit shows some 40PSI. I don't like looking at a dead gauge, but I didn't have a lot of faith in the stock sender technology. Having said that, there is an oil boss in the block just to the side of the stock oil sender that I think could be used so both gauges can be run.
Thanks for the reply! That's what I thought. I'm 100% certain that I don't any ports on my passenger side head. If I get really curious, I'll try to identify what year it was made. Believe I've seen water temp senders that tap into radiator hoses; might think about that.

Pretty sure that oil boss is intended for the optional oil filter. I have that one too. I may add an oil filter but suppose there's a tee fitting available enabling both the filter and an extra sender.

I'm with you; don't like looking at a dead gauge and have questionable faith in the stock sender. Recall sitting a stop light and watching my oil pressure go to -0-. That was a real pucker moment. I revved the engine a couple of times and drove away from the stop light and the indication returned to normal. Never found anything wrong and it never happened again.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote