View Single Post
Old 07-10-2022, 11:56 AM   #73
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Engine temp rises when I get to cruise speed

Usually having more timing will help cool the engine - though obviously you need to worry about detonation and boost (and fuel quality)

When you're just cruising at a constant speed (say 60 mph), the throttle plates are only partially open and you're not generating any boost as a result - so having 24 - 26 degrees of total advance is just fine. Now, when you step on the throttle a bunch (say passing a car or having fun), then you'll generate boost - and only then do you need to pull some timing out of it. Obviously you'll need to experiment with the timing curve and boost control to achieve the "happy medium" that gives you maximum advance, yet is reactive enough to pull timing out before it detonates.

I'd probably start at 20 degrees of advance, then get the boost control map working . . . then slowly add a bit more timing in to see what the motor likes before detonation sets in. Also, make sure you check your AFRs - as I don't like having a 14.6 AFR on a blown motor . . .

Distributors: I like what I'm reading on their website - as long as they deliver what they say and it is reliable, and Charlie NY makes it fit, could be a great solution.

BTW: Did you notice that they do deliver a mechanical tach-drive version. Depending on what type of tach you have or want to run, this might be an option.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 07-10-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote