View Single Post
Old 07-05-2022, 02:33 AM   #8
jrvariel48

Default Re: Engine temp rises when I get to cruise speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Many years ago {the last century}I decided to replace a good working radiator in my roadster to what I expected would be a newer better core this was prior to aluminum radiators when I put the 671 blower on my flathead. Since I expected more heat from the blower combination.

For many months I chased heating issues as your experiencing. I tried modifying the water pumps removing every other fin slowing things down did not work went back to non modified pumps next I tried 160 thermosets and no thermostats and also tried washers with a 5/8 hole in the center doing all of that did not help. During all of this I continued to use the 50/50 coolant mixture emptying it and putting it back in.

One day I decided the heck with that I just put straight water and dam that day was the first time I experienced any improvement the engine now ran 10 degrees cooler that day I discovered straight water dissipates heat better than anything else! While not a solution to the problem at that point it proved one thing water is much better for what we are doing. Other than straight water nothing I did solved the problem.

This finally led me to that radiator could it be the issue? Prior to inferred temp guns the way I determined it was the radiator I put a temp sender at the water pump the 8BA passenger side pump has the fitting hole for the heater hose a perfect location for the sender now I could see what was happening. The water temp gauge at the head was reading 180 leaving the engine the test temp gauge at the pump was reading 180 entering the engine that radiator was the problem.

The solution I had a radiator built by Custom Auto Radiator CAR located in New Jersey. Now my 671 blown flathead ran nice and cool on the open road at highway speeds and also around town.

That radiator is now in my wife's flathead powered Deuce coupe with Ital blower, C-4 automatic 3/516 bore 4 1/8 stroke crankshaft in 95 degree temps on the highway 180 is as hot as it gets and round town 160 all day long. CAR would be my choice for a radiator that works. Also CAR placed the lower radiator outlets as far out as possible so there was no interference with the belts on a flathead blower combination.
Ronnieroadster
I guess the one thing I'm really having trouble understanding is this:

The engine doesn't know MPH, only RPM and load basically.
So if I'm going 30 MPH at 3000 RPM or 60 MPH at 3000 RPM I don't see the difference. I would think that the air movement at 60 MPH would have a better cooling effect than at 30MPH. My A/F numbers are the same when cruising at those speeds. The only time times that changes if when I get on it or take my foot off the pedal. Thanks Ronnie
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote