View Single Post
Old 04-13-2022, 11:09 AM   #276
GB SISSON

Default Re: Winter without a project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Lets see the wood shop projects GB, always fun to see whats happening on the Island !
OK, the little doll chair I made last weekend for one of my grandaughter's 4th birthday. One of the hens laid a minature egg last Sunday, so my wife posed this photo. The big door is for a family estate about 2 miles from us on the waterfront. This is the entry door and is a 4-0 x 7-4 door that is 2 1/4" thick. The vertical stiles are 2 outer pieces of 3/4"old doug fir resawn from 3 x 11 floor joists from a 1906 warehouse. The 3/4" core was resawn from 3x12 structural glu-lams. This sandwich is laminated on a 6x6 steel I beam ti insure straight. The inset panels are a mix of species planed to 3/8" and laminated onto both sides of 1/2" marine plywood. This in done in our vacuum press which is a 4x8' heavy vinyl envelope, backed with grooved plywood and a very powerful and heavy vacuum pump assembly. We set it up as needed on our 4 x 8 work table. The door joints are a a spline of the same 1/2" ply and 3/8 x 10" star drive construction lags counterbored for a 3/4" dowel. The hall of doors shows what this big door will look like painted white. The white doors we built 27 of them about 7 years ago for a project on Whidbey island.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doll chair with egg.jpg (146.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg KJ Door 1.jpg (136.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg KJ Door 2.jpg (127.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Mutiny-Bay-Retreat_2000_h_gallery10.jpg (58.8 KB, 39 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote