View Single Post
Old 12-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #15
nkaminar

Default Re: tyre preservation. suggestions please.

I put my car up on blocks if I am not going to drive it a month or more. I have also heard that removing the air helps. My car lives in a garage where the sun cannot get to the tires. Tires dry out so having them hot will not help. If you are in OZ or other hot climate, you may want to have an air conditioned garage.

This next comment I am going to get a lot of flack about. Driving on tires that are under inflated will shorten their lives. Ford knew this in 1928 and even in the Model T days. I have radials on my heavy Fordor. I put 40 psi in the front and 50 psi in the back. I cannot advise anyone to do this because the tires state that the maximum is 35 psi. But it works for me and keeps the tire temperatures down to warm by touch. The car handles better. The bias ply tires do not deflect as much as the radials so 35 psi works for them. Modern tires will hold 200 psi before blowing up, unless they are damaged by driving on them when flat. If you want to test this use water instead of air. Water is not compressible so the tire will not explode when it fails. No stored energy.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 12-30-2021 at 07:48 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote