Thread: Engine green
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Engine green

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Keep in mind Henry used that green engine parts paint as a 'dump' for a lot of other leftover paint. The general green color shifted somewhat in several cycles during the production years.

What is thought of today as correct is just an arbitrarily agreed range of greens. The general thinking is that all engine/trans parts should match in one particular car, not necessarily between two different cars.

Mike, I agree with you somewhat on this however two things that have always been a struggle for me wrapping my head around this theory. Here's hy;

a) -The engines cases (blocks, heads, covers, housings, transmission cases, et/al) all were cast at different times, painted at different times, -and even machined & warehoused at different times. So if there were noticeable discrepancies allowed in shading for different vehicles, how were the workers certain to match all of the cover shades to the housing color shades, to the head, water pump housings, blocks etc. when they were assembled to match the verbiage in the MARC/MAFCA publications?? Based on that alone, ...and seeing many original engine assemblies from different years, the shades of colors rarely differ any, I do not agree with this statement. I think the shading differences are more contingent upon the dilution of the paint rather than color shading. Therefore it is my opinion this was included in the RG&JS and the Refinish Manual just to give latitude to the restorer with the intent to not be overly picky during adjudication.

b) -I realize there has been a myth saying that "leftover" paint was used for Engine paint however I do not 'buy-into' that theory either because of a couple of things. First, there was a M-Spec number given to Ford's Engine Green color. This was the exact ratio of mixing toners and ingredients that was supposed to be used to formulate that color as designated by the Engineering department.

Second, if this myth is to have validity, what left-over paint colors were supposedly used to formulate this? Remember, this Engine Green paint was alkyd enamel -and in 1928 & '29, the only other enamel paint being used was Black. The amount of Black being used within the mix of Yellow & Green would be very negligible. These two reasons alone is why I don't feel this is anything more than just a wives' tale myth.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote