Thread: No spark '31
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #1
1939mars

Default No spark '31

I am trying to solve a no spark problem with no luck so far. I am new to A's but have some V8 era experience.

It was running (not terribly well - little power on hills). When I went to pull it back into the garage it would not start. I am getting absolutely no spark.

I find 6V to both sides of the coil. I had an extra coil so tried that. Nothing. The 2 I have show about 1.5 ohms primary and 8.5 kohms secondary.

I checked the key switch by jumpering it.

I tried 2 new condensers I had on hand.

I have done a lot of reading & video watching and found that if everything is set up properly, one should get a spark at the points just by cycling them. I get nothing. I checked voltage at the points with paper in between them and I do not get a full 6 V. I don't think that is too surprising with the condenser in the circuit, but I would expect it to come up to 6 after a bit. What is normal? I checked that the other side of the points is grounded.

I read that the shield of the key switch cable can be screwed too far in and short. I checked for continuity between the shield and the wire and got open as expected.

With the points closed I checked current with my current meter. Zero +/- 1 milliamp. I would expect there to be current flowing so this has me puzzled.

I have made other measurements and don't find anything else unexpected but I do not know for sure what is expected! Any help would be appreciated.
1939mars is offline   Reply With Quote