Thread: caveat emptor
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2021, 08:53 PM   #1
DavidG

Default caveat emptor

While the practice of implying something "is" when it "isn't" when it comes to seller's descriptions of the item for sale isn't uniquely found on ebay, a very recent ebay example is just one more reminder that a few in this hobby (and in every other walk of life) are willing strangers to the truth.

The seller in this instance took a Brookville '32 roadster body and put it on an original chassis, added the tattered interior from an original roadster, did all the latest in patination, right down to worn pin striping. and added a number of original accessories, both Ford-released and aftermarket to create, what he or she obviously hoped would pass for a very well-preserved survivor.

What they did not do, however, was to spend a little time comparing a Brookville body to an original with the result that all of the Brookville telltales have been retained, right down to the misfit of the left side hood top panel at the left side belt molding and directly above and that is one of the least obvious differences.

Allegedly this car was awarded a Rouge Award at a western national meet of the Early Ford V8 Club. If factual, shame, shame on the judges who knew so little as to not have quickly seen that it is a fake.

The car was withdrawn from ebay with the notation that it was no longer available. To me that suggests that it was sold privately. If so, I most sincerely hope that the buyer was aware that he was spending serious money for a fraud and wanted it notwithstanding. But if unaware, they have my sympathies as eventually they will encounter someone who will know what the car "isn't".
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote