View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 10:36 PM   #8
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Model A Paint & Finish Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbasher View Post
A point to keep in mind. When colours where made up by the manufacture they didin't use a formula. They would make up the colour they finalized for that year and would spray it out on colour cards. Then they would send these cards to the paint companys to make up and formulate the colours. They where allowed to be 5% darker or lighter from the standard. So a 10% variance could happen. Now you know why you see the same colour with different shades on different cars. I remember working at a Chrysler dealership in the 70's and a transporter came in with new cars. Here's 3 new cars 3 different shades of the same colour. The painters standing beside me and says "So, which one do I match"!! JP
yup - i pulled the data plate off my original gas tank to my AA. nice patch of what id assume to be rock moss green paint thats never seen sunlight. I held it up to the rock moss green in the latest guide and its waaay darker. Any other green that could of been painted that year was way lighter or even farther off.(more blue tint or grey tint)

nothings changed on todays cars - if you look really close the plastic bumper color doesnt quite match the metal body color on vast majority of cars - sometimes the doors and front fenders (aka stuff that bolts on) doesnt quite match the rear quarter area.... Its also why you cant just snag a junkyard white door off a car to stick on your white car - will be a night and day difference.