View Single Post
Old 09-06-2021, 02:50 AM   #6
Henry Hopper

Default Re: Stromberg question

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The plugs are new( about 120 miles ago).. the soot was soft and just brushed of with a scotchbrite pad, so I doubt I’ve done any damage to them, likewise the distributor was fitted new at the same time along with new leads and coil. The car fired up fine after putting the plugs back in it was only after I decided to try and “ fix” the rich mixture that things went south.
As they say,” a little knowledge is dangerous”��.... the mixture screws are pretty loose in the threads too... maybe I dislodged some dirt with messing?

I followed the procedure from the Stromberg owners manual on setting the screws ... I started by screwing them in fully and backing them out 1 and a 1/2 turns exactly... I then tuned each one in until the motor began to bog and then turned them out slowly looking for the motor to gallop.. but it didn’t, it just sort of sat back at idle.Figuring I must be somewhere near the sweet spot I revved the motor but every time it “pops “in the exhaust. I spent quite a time slowly turning the screws one way and another but no joy.

I decided to buy and fit a new 97 and see if that cures the problem.. if it does I may rebuild the old carb as a spare. I recently sold some parts for a decent return so in my mind the new carb cost me nothing ( I find it eases the pain ��)

Thanks for the input.... I appreciate it.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote