View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 03:37 AM   #15
chrs1961815

Default Re: 28-29 repro radiator shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Ummm, those who are saying to use original ... have you attempted to restore one? How did it come out? How good was it to start with? How much did the plating cost?

The repro chrome plating, I think, is just a flash chrome over the steel.
Proper plating is copper, ground back many times to get rid of pitting, and plated again and again, and having the right gear to do the inside lip. Then nickel (price of nickel is going up, we mine it here) and a very thin coat of chrome (even more expensive, from Russia I think).
And that is after all your super fine panel beating. It has to be a perfect mirror surface so the reflections don't look wonky.

Last time this was discussed, I tried to get a rise from Brent as to how much time and effort it takes to restore one. I think his answer was "how long is a piece of string".
I'll indulge you - I have had a lot of experience when it comes to plating and I know the process well. Though I have not had a shell replated, I know what it takes and how it is all done.

The shell is tough - it requires many hours of work to get one back to factory condition depending on how bad it is to begin with. This biggest problem is dents as you have to knock them out enough to smooth it out with copper but not too much as to dent it from the other side. It can also be tricky to get dollies in some of these tight places in the shell, which is where the dents always seem to be.

It is one of those things that costs a fair amount of money but done right will look good and FIT GOOD. I would save myself the trouble if I could get a good one restored. I have several shops I have used and know that do this kind of excellent work.

28-29 cars all had nickel shells save for the town car that came in 29 I believe. 30-31 cars were stainless which is a different conversation all together.