Thread: camshaft (Long)
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 05:17 PM   #9
aermotor

Default Re: camshaft (Long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
If the engine bogs down when you pull down on the timing lever then either the timing is way too advanced or there is a fault with the distributor. I know you said that you have checked the ignition system, but it is still ignition related, so something is still wrong. Pulling down on the timing lever will advance the timing.

Check to see if the top plate in the distributor is not loose so that when you move it the point gap is changed. Also check that the wire that leads to the plate underneath does not have a bare spot that is rubbing against something.

The timing method on a Model A is pretty fool proof. Assuming the cam is timed correctly, the points should just be opening when the timing lever is full up and the timing pin is in the detent. If not then it is not timed correctly.
Got all this checked and even replaced the distributor with one out of my
speedster that ran great on the road 10 mins. before the swap and all the problems are the same. I know I am missing something somewhere but two other A people have looked over my shoulder, we are all stumped. BTW, I replaced the cam gear a couple years ago because the old one had a lot of slack between the phenolic center and the ring gear. I did check the points opening with a trouble light.

Thanks, John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote