View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 06:06 PM   #3
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: 1939 engine transplant to an 8ba

Here are a few things to note:

1) The entire front of the 59A is different than the 8BA - I like to reconfigure the 8BA to "act like" a 39-48 engine. The reason is that you can then use ALL of the front pieces from your 59AB and everything will fit where it is supposed to be and look the part. This is more work than just putting a 49-53 engine in (as is) -- somebody else can comment on the details of that.

Here is what I do - and 'yes' it is a bit of work, but the result tends to be the best

1) Swap the 8BA CAM out for an early cam - so you can run the early timing cover and front-mount distributor. While I'm at it, I change the cam/crank gears to the 59AB ones - as they thrust toward the block - while the 8BA ones thrust toward the timing cover.
2) I use the 39-48 water pumps - that way everything mounts into the car as it did before.
3) I also run the earlier front pulleys, fan setup, etc.. Basically everything that is already in the car.
4) Heads: You can usually run either ones - depending on your radiator hose configuration. I actually like the "look" of the earlier center outlet heads - as they are what came in the 39. If you put the early heads on a 8BA, you may need to plug a water galley hole in the deck (can't remember sitting here) - it is an easy thing to do if it is required. Also, you had to pull the heads to change the cam anyway, so you do this when the heads are off.
5) Oil Pan: I'm not sure which oil pan you'll need for the later engine (regardless if you do the above or not) - seems to me there is a special 'Merc' pan that has the sump in the correct location (more towards the rear) to miss the steering tie-rods? Anybody know the details here?

I know the above is a lot more work than just dropping in an 8BA . . . so this is just one way to do it.

Sticking to the standard 8BA Approach: I can't answer the question of which components you'll need to keep it an 8BA? I imagine you'll need the correct water pumps - that have similar mounting locations as the 37-48 ones. I also don't know about any issues with fan belt sizes/locations, crank pulleys, fan location and belt alignment, generator location, etc.. This has been done a zillion times before - somebody on the barn should have these answers.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote