View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 12:30 PM   #19
Late model

Default Re: 292 Distributor stuck

Reading back through this thread I noticed that apparently there was a tool available at one time to do the job.
I finally made one not too long ago when I had to pull four distributors out of some locked up 272’s and 292’s that I bought for parts.
I’m sure the over the counter probably worked better than mine, but my homemade certainly helped on those distributors. The engines had been setting out for years.
In the past I had used different types of penetrants, heat, and an air hammer to get distributors out.
The principle of this puller is that it puts a constant push upwards on the distributor, so when you heat or air hammer the block the distributor moves up slightly. Then the nuts on the 1/4 -28 bolts are tightened again. More hammering, and then more tightening. (Always tightening the sides evenly) Eventually the distributor is loose enough to turn.
You need to be careful not to over tighten the nuts. I went to what I felt was just below the normal tightening torque for a ¼-28 thread.
On the last distributor the nuts never quite reached that point so I continued and pulled the distributor without hammering.
The aluminum U shaped part is a spacer that is a rework for an “engineering oversight”. I cut the bolts too short and so to get a full length push I need to install the spacer below the tool. V.2, if it is ever built, will have longer bolts.
Also, you will notice a reworked 7/16 open end wrench that is required to get access to one of the nuts. The 90 degree bend is from the wrench’s previous life as a “special tool”.
Now, the most likely question that will be asked is, “can it be used with the engine in the car?” Hard to say. Depends if the engine is in a stock type body, or a street rod. I am going to try it out on my 56 Victoria next week. I think I might need to sacrifice a 7/16 line wrench using a double bend to get to the nut.
So that is my contribution to the reduction of broken Y block distributors.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DR1.jpg (45.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DR2.jpg (32.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DR4.jpg (60.4 KB, 58 views)
Late model is offline   Reply With Quote