View Single Post
Old 06-25-2021, 08:03 PM   #1084
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Aeroplane instruments can be an ego driven requirement.

Many years back I figured my Cessna could do with an upgrade of both radios and navigation equipment so I talked to the radio guru at the Melbourne light aircraft airport: Moorabbin. Les Coleman is his name.
And what would you like Les asked. Well I know there is a marine nav system that acquires a fix from the satellites. That sort of thing. Les looks at me with disbelief and points to a photo on his wall and asks, “do you know who they are?” Yes I replied, Yeager and Rutan, they flew around the world non-stop about 3 months ago. Les asked do you know who this is and points to himself in the picture. “yes yourself Les”.
Les explains he has only recently returned from America (where radio and nav development occurs) and is current with the very latest. There is nothing of the sort he says and views me like some sort of Walter Mitty. Well I spent a lot of money and upgraded including an international DME (distance measuring equipment).
You know what happened of course, very shortly afterwards. Well then I had the DME removed and installed the very latest: a GPS. I advertised the DME for sale at half price and was nearly overrun by aircraft owners who “just had to have it”. I asked each of them why they would want it when GPS was now available and several answered it by saying it would look just great on the panel of my aeroplane, especially since it had a fluro readout.
This clearly shows the egos of some pilots and aeroplane owners. This contradicts my choice which is to have the least you require.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote