View Single Post
Old 05-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #12
crazycasey

Default Re: Mounting Rumble Lid Hinges; Where Did I Go Wrong!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
What parts are original Model A to your assembly...What parts are not?

When one goes from one parts supply house to another to complete an assembly...one runs into trouble...best to get all parts to do an assembly from one supplier.

However...it is also best to use original parts all the way for a 100% good fit.

Pluck
Yes sir I completely agree with you there. When I started this project I knew less than nothing. Now I know an amount basically equal to nothing. It seems like it is “general knowledge” amongst those in this hobby that there are three levels of Model A parts; those that just don’t fit, period, those that fit “ok”, but only if you only use them with other parts from the same place, and then, original parts, which still don’t really fit, but they’re better than the other two options.

If I had it to do over, I would do it differently. That’s for sure.

Oh, as to your question, on the back half of the car, basically nothing is original. I HAD (past tense) two quarters and a decklid that were like Swiss cheese with rust holes, and the bottom 7” were completely gone. And they were poorly grafted (brazing and bailing wire) onto a pair of coupe subrails (just to really confuse matters), that had been torch cut behind the door post, and bolted to the original roadster front subrails through 1x1x1/8” square tube “stiffeners”. Where the quarter panel braces and rumble hinge braces were supposed to be, there were 2x4’s wood screwed into what was left of the subrails. So, I restored what I could on the front and started from scratch on the rear.

To answer your question from the last post, I measured both my original “panel below decklid” and my replacement, and both are about 9-3/8” in the center. So that’s not my issue...
crazycasey is offline   Reply With Quote