View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 07:11 PM   #10
JayJay

Default Re: Ignition cylinder removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum1 View Post
unfortunately, I have been to two reputable lock smiths with the blanks sold from Model A vendors-they could not replicate, I believe the blank we just not correct for the key(#) I had
I had this problem with my pickup. The ignition switch is a "popout" but likely not original, and the only key I had for it doesn't look anything like the blanks the vendors sell (slots on the wrong side). So I took it to my locksmith and he took it as a challenge. He found a blank that had the correct slot in it but was too long and too wide (I think it was originally a door key of some sort). He painstakingly ground away the parts he didn't need until he got a good fit on the blank, then cut the code and it works fine. I think he took it as a challenge. Same thing for the door, it wasn't a standard blank. He charged me $35 for both, which I think is very reasonable. I'm going to take the door cylinder from my Town Sedan to him to cut a key.

The Town Sedan ignition is not a popout so I know it isn't original. I'll be looking for one when I get to restoring it.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote