View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 08:09 PM   #47
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: “Inside” part of road draft tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris McCarty View Post
Finished the pcv valve install last night.
Installed the tube beneath the manifold. Drilled and tapped the manifold at the road draft tube location and the carb block off plate for 1/4” pipe thread brass fittings. I’m using 3/8” emissions hose currently but will go 3/8” copper line as the final setup. I tried 5 different pcv valves settling on the Borg Warner PV255. This was more about “operation” than fit.
I set it up first with clear 3/8” line so I could see the “flow” of the very light oil mist as it moved from the block to the intake manifold with the different valves. The PV255 flowed the best at low vacuum RPMs and didn’t “leak” vacuum at idle or light cruise RPMs. I had a vacuum gauge setup along with my wideband gauge to keep track of lean/rich situations.
The PV255 valve worked best in a vertical position. I believe this is the best valve for a hot rod flathead....it is at least of the 5 different valves I tested.
I’m extremely pleased with the results. Drove the car almost 40 miles at 65-75mph this morning. Pulled into my shop and didn’t have a single drop of oil even begin to form on or around the oil pan or dipstick. Previous to this mod there would have most certainly been a drop or two at least form.

It’s extremely important to make sure that if using a performance manifold with separated plenums to join the plenums in some manner. Thanks to Merc’s suggestion I was able to do this in the least invasive way. Thanks Merc!

Thank all of your for your help with this little project!
Ya' that's an advantage I noticed after installing my system.
Had a small leak at the front crank seal before and virtually none after installation.