View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 05:17 PM   #63
dmsfrr

Default Re: Fordomatic late shifting ('57 thunderbird)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yblock57 View Post
Sal & dmsfrr —
Thanks very much for the input. Good to know one piece of the puzzle is ok.

I had thought about 'tweaking' the firewall piece and may end up having to do it. Before I do, I wanted to see if anyone had another threaded rod (dmsfrr referred to) that adjusts pedal height that I could compare mine to. Went ahead and removed and got some measurements.

Overall length (fully extended) is 5 1/4". This only gives me approx. 3" pedal height. If all the catalogs list this for 55-57 then maybe this is the correct one. Just wanted to verify before I bend things.

Again, thanks for everyone's help. This is one of the best source of info on these cars out there.
That threaded pedal adjustment link at the back of the 'mousetrap' comes in three versions, for '55, '56 and '57.

Part # 9784 - A, B or C for the three different years, in that order. The '55 version may be the longest?
They are on page 33 in a Casco catalog, or page 70 in the Hill's catalog. $50 to $60 depending on the version.
I don't understand why a part that appears to be and should be 'correct' won't give you the adjustment needed. Perhaps you can create a temporary part with a 'better' length and see if it works before doing something more permanent.
If there's a local hot-rod shop near you they may have some pieces to work from.

Mine is the same way, that adjustment link seems too short. But I wrote it off to having '57 linkage, intake manif & carburetor in a '55 that originally used different hardware. So I re-created a slightly different version of the adjustment procedure, without using the 1/4 inch 'alignment tool', drill bit, screwdriver shaft, etc.
So far it's working much better than it was. (but I have nothing else to compare it to)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-31-2020 at 09:30 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote