Thread: Vlaue of a 390
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #18
greenpondmike

Default Re: Vlaue of a 390

I want to add that even though that 67 390 had impressive power I just figured out that it got around 20 mpg. I may have said 15 elsewhere, but that was a guess.
Ran out of gas down the road from my house. Had only $5 to put in it, so got some in a jug and rest at the pump. Went to put in an application past the fairgrounds (60 mile round trip roughly) and then went to Centreville which is a 40 mile round trip. 60+40=100 and if gas was a dollar a gallon back then I was getting 20mpg, but if gas was higher than I didn't have quite 5 gallons in it and it was getting better than that. I didn't have the original carb on it though, but without revealing my accidental secret I can say that it was a stock ford carb with no modifications to it except a cheap holly rebuild kit from autozone (I use napa ecclin now) or a high grade jiffy kit. It was the second card I ever built and the first one I did right. I had some pieces left over after I tried to rebuild a quadrajet on a 1973 cutlass--it ran though lol.
greenpondmike is offline   Reply With Quote