View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 07:06 PM   #17
justanotherguy

Default Re: Removing transmission 1947 Mercury

AN UPDATE (but not what we wanted to hear)

So a few more hours were spent on this 10 minute job today. The consensus from all three knuckleheads in attendance, is that it can't be done according to the manual.
Marvin/TN – In order to go out the bottom, the wishbone would need to be dropped, and even then it won't work on this old Merc.
We managed to rotate the trans well over 90° both right and left which indeed gave us hope, but still we needed 1/4"-1/2" more travel to have the input shaft clear the pressure plate, at any angle... this is with the housing hitting the backside of the chassis and then some.
Now, during the time I have my face smashed up against the trans housing from under the car... and attempting to peer into the gap between engine and trans with flashlights blazing in all directions (mostly in my eyes) I became aware of one possible cause for this snag. The clutch and pressure plate had been replaced previously. I'm wondering if the pressure plate from Fort Wayne Clutch is just "thicker" enough that the input shaft won't clear. Perhaps a stock '47 Ford part pressure plate is just thin enough that the shaft can squeeze out. This is speculation until I can call them tomorrow. And let me be clear... I have had nothing but great experience from Fort Wayne Clutch... those guys are awesome. So if it turns out to be the pressure plate, it's on me for not being able to predict the future.
Stay tuned for a possible update.

Unrelated: For Sale: 1947 Mercury, partially disassembled... new clutch and pressure plate from Fort Wayne Clutch... torque tube and several flash lights, sold separately.
justanotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote