View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 03:06 AM   #7
larrys40

Default Re: Engine diagnosis?

The 3 things it takes to make an engine run are compression, fuel and spark. I’m sure you have compression as long as the engine sounds like it cranks normal so as sunnybrook said check for spark.

Take the high tension lead from distributor cap with ignition on and hold lead with a slight gap from ahead nut and have someone crank engine to see if spark is firing. If so that is good. If not clean points with Light sandpaper and retry.

Fuel, - assuming spark is good but still no start - crank engine and pull Choke for a few revolutions . The other posts above want you to pull the fuel line but I want to know if it’s really getting into the carb and throttle plate. After you choke it liberally go check carb at choke plate and put a finger or two in at the carb air intake -choke plate and see if carb is wet or dry. If dry re-choke and retry, if wet you are getting fuel. If wet and you have spark it should run. If no fuel at throttle plate pull the carb drain plug loose a few turns to see if you have fuel leaking. If so retighten . Fuel is getting to carb and verified. If no fuel your float may be stuck. Take small hammer and tap at side fuel filter on right side of carb- retry to see if fuel is flowing.
Sitting all winter with today’s fuel it is highly probable that the fuel gelled a little and clogged the top of the main and cap jet at the carb throat. You will have to remove carb and remove carb top to verify this. With fuel in the bowl and tilted bowl end higher you should see fuel bubbling up both jets. If not they may be clogged. Correct if clogged,
Today’s fuels can clog jets in a few months sometimes. Have had this a number of times for cars I’ve worked on after sittings.
Keep us posted.
Larry shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 05-15-2020 at 03:24 AM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote