View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Headlight, cowl light, radiator shell Stainless Restoration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
The same reason hobbyists dont use stand buffers
....... Ohhh but the Good Ones do!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-Mo View Post
Brent, thank you! That's the answer I was searching for, the ability to use 4-5k grit paper prior to polishing without damage.

I actually prefer to polish by hand. I'm just not set up to do it mechanically and like the full control of doing it manually.

Just so we are clear, the same damage can be done with sandpaper vs medium on a buffing pad. The benefit I see in doing by hand sanding is you can use water to keep the surface flushed clean. It is easier to keep the heat away when using sandpaper & water. We often use an air-powered palm sander with velcro-loop paper in some of the bigger areas.

Nothing wrong with using hand methods. The reason we use the big buffer is control. While this may seem to be the opposite, notice how wide our pads are. I have felt pads that are 4 inches wide and spin at quite a few RPMs (-not sure what the speed of our machine is) and because of the higher horsepower, the big machine does not labor nor does the pad deflect any. This allows great control because the pad is not trying to grab like they will on a smaller under-powered machine. Also, the grease that is in the compounds will evaporate on the higher Hp machines whereas it turns to a gummy black residue on a under-powered machine.

FWIW, the grease can be removed with Wax & Grease Remover followed by dusting with baking flour. I am still learning how to do this process of restoration mainly because all of the stainless restorers seemingly have aged-out and are no longer able to supply the hobby. Fortunately I was able to spend a day with a professional polisher who tutored me. The next phase for us is perfecting our straightening techniques and crack repair. There was a stainless restorer named Doug Bruce who could straighten an A shell to near perfection. Sadly he passed away without sharing his secrets to his craft. Most restorers of shells polish them without straightening the side panels. Doug's were near perfect in those areas. We are slowly mastering the technique of straightening the sides too.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote