View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
Mac VP

Default Re: What happens in a transmission rebuild - Part 10

So now we will assemble the various parts of the overdrive section of the transmission. The first piece to go in is the 7662 Balk Ring & Gear. The photos below show this as two parts: the gear and the tension ring. After cleaning these two pieces, you need to check the tension of the ring on the shoulder of the balk gear. Fit the ring into place (undercut side to the gear) and put a couple drops of oil on the shoulder where the ring fits. If you pull one end of the ring away from the other end, the ring should rotate around the gear easily. If you push the one end towards the other ring end, there should be resistance to rotating. This was measured as about 3 lbs of force. You can check this with a fish weight scale. If the tension is too light, it can often be tightened up by slightly compressing the ring by itself and reinstalling. I sometimes bounce a large rubber hammer against one side of the ring while holding it edgewise against a block of wood. If you can't seem to get a proper tension, you may have to replace the gear & ring.

Fit the 7662 balk ring & gear into the recess on the overdrive adapter casting. I use a generous film of transmission assembly grease here. Then install the 7690 pawl in the slot for it. Note the position of the notch on one side of the pawl. You can always make sure you have it set correctly by noting how the slanted end of the pawl always fits into a matching slot in the balk gear. After setting these in place, I rotate the ring on the balk gear into its blocking position. This keeps the pawl pushed out (in the non-overdrive mode) which makes installation of the electric solenoid much easier later on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc-ODtrans-Part10-4.jpg (67.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Merc-ODtrans-Part10-5.jpg (51.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Merc-ODtrans-Part10-6.jpg (56.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Merc-ODtrans-Part10-7.jpg (53.0 KB, 72 views)
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)