View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #38
rotorwrench

Default Re: Replace any tire over 6 years old.

Most tires do just fine in a normal running environment and last for years. They generally will hold air till they pick up a nail, screw, or some other similar road hazard. Most folks don't think about the valve stems but they should. This is the next most common cause of leakage. Once a tire starts to leak, how long do folks run them before they realize it's looking like it's going flat. If it is run on the road with low pressure very long then the carcass will start getting hotter than normal and this misshapen tire is a ticking time bomb no matter how good it looks. The older the carcass the shorter the time span till failure. Fix them as soon as you know they are leaking.

Brands that don't hold together will soon be dropped by distributor such as Discount Tire and others. They don't like warranty come backs any more than their customers do.

Hell I don't even check the air pressure as much as I should. If the car/truck sets a lot then that should be the first thing you check before getting it out on the road. I definitely check my bikes before I ride them. They don't do well at when a tire gives out and I speak from experience. Just try to steer one with either tire flat and you will know what I'm talking about.

I purchase and change out my own tires on the bikes and the antique cars. I balance them too. Most of these are specialty items and the tire shops give you a not so funny look when you bring them a tire to have it mounted & balanced.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote