Thread: DIY Windlace
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #15
dmaxweb

Default Re: DIY Windlace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Actually, based on your comments, I feel pretty certain that you have no idea what Fine-Point is about, ...and my observations as someone who has restored to both levels, you are making some assumptions that are highly erroneous.

It is not my desire to engage in a debate with you about this, but I can assure you that just because you drive your car does not substantiate that you have more fun than someone who has spent the effort to restore to a standard. I will also tell you that most Fine-point car owners I know generally do not put their trophy on a shelf. Instead it is usually on display in their garage, and they often get their trophy out and drive it some.

Additionally, I think one of the biggest misconceptions that you have is the reason why someone builds/restores to a standard. Using your Windlace as an example, ...you have taken the time to find fabric and you are fabricating your own product that you believe is closer to being authentic that what is commercially available. You are to be commended. As Gary stated above, he did the same as you except he took it to the next level as he had the fabric made in the correct pattern and then dyed it to match. I'm sure you will agree that you were just looking for the challenge to see if you could make your own Windlace. The same thing with Gary, except he extended his challenge to authentically replicate something in its entirety. I know I enjoy the challenge of replicating to a standard and seeing if I can bring it to fruition. So please understand that anyone that makes a derogatory statement towards someone who has taken the time to research and execute in order to replicate an item to exacting standards really is shallow in their thinking and is being very judgmental about something they truly do not understand. After all, there will always be someone who is a better craftsman than each of us, and each of us can always find a craftsman with less talent than we have. Ridiculing someone who is better, -or worse in talent than us is not the way we get more talent.
Not looking to debate or lecture you. It should be abundantly clear to us that for me personally my time and money is much better spent elsewhere. I have an appreciation for fine-point (I also have some plastic trophys) but it's just not for me. As I said earlier, to each his own.
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote