View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #8
hoffernsp

Default Re: 51 Merc Wiring kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I purchased all the Macs harnesses some years back. They sell the different harnesses separately like most of them do. The company that made them for Macs is out of Oregon but doesn't sell to the public. Each harness assembly comes with a separate wiring diagram just fo that harness. The dash harness and main engine compartment harness are the big ones but you still need all the little ones applicable to your car. There is a front cross over harness, a rear tail harness. tail light cross over harness. There is a separate harness for the dome light, the steering column, and overdrive plus the heater and any other accessories the car may have. It will wear you down just finding which harnesses you need.

Some may sell a complete kit but that may not have accessory harnesses so it just depend on who you purchase them from. Rhode Island Wire lacquer coats there wire strands so that they will last longer but their prices reflect the quality.

The next one I do, I swear I'm going to just use aircraft wire and mark the ends for ID. Aircraft wire will outlast all that old cloth covered stuff by 50-years or better.
My late father in law was the main mech on the Enola Gay and 40 years with NW air and he also swore using aircraft wiring for his own use on cars and motorcycles. Can one still get ahold of aircraft wires? I remember some were both copper and aluminum strands?
hoffernsp is offline   Reply With Quote