Thread: Distributors
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #15
tubman

Default Re: Distributors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene1949 View Post
IF you intend on driving it much LOSE the Mallory. A non vacuum advance dissy is a "race only" item.
I will have to disagree with this. I have a mechanical advance only Mallory on the '51 Merc engine in my '51 Ford club coupe. It starts on the first touch of the key and runs excellently. As a matter of fact, I replaced a vacuum advance converted SBC unit with it when I couldn't get the car to run right with that distributor. I am completely satisfied with the way the car performs with the Mallory and would not consider changing it. Last summer, I made a 280 mile round trip, mainly on the interstate, averaging 70 mph and 19 mpg. This in a car with 3.55 rear end gears and no overdrive.

Also, as I reported in my reply to "adileo" about condensers, After an initial tune up in 1987, this same car performed flawlessly for 30 years and over 20,000 miles until I upgraded the engine in 2017. This was with a completely stock 6 volt system. Just make sure the system is in good shape and quality components are used. A lot of the time, components on cars as old as these are just plain worn out, which can lead to lots of problems (think worn distributor bushings).

Last edited by tubman; 07-16-2019 at 09:58 AM.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote