View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
Thriftmaster

Default Re: 9" axle beaing issue

Called a friend of mine re this problem last night. He is a Mill Right and has been working on a lot of very old vintage machinery lately. We discussed the bearing issue and he stated that he has run into the same problem with 50-70 year old mill equipment that he has been upgrading. He stated that if the tolerances are with in a few thousands that them in the trade have been using Loctite 680 retaining compound. Apparently you coat the sleeve area were the bearing is to slide into prior to installing it and not so much that it squeezes into the moving race on install. Make sure it is in the place were you want it to sit and then let it stand for several hours and it should be good to go.
He also stated as did Dave55Sedan to check out other bearing manufacturers before resorting to this because different companies have different tolerances. I asked about getting the axle back out if there is a problem once this stuff sets up and he told me it would break loose with a slide hammer and some muscle work but it would not damage the sleeve area and would break loose.
So my first order is to contact different bearing suppliers and if all else fails I will try the Loctite 680.
Thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote