View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #35
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: The GREAT Introducing Ms. American 3.14159 Caper

Quote:
But it wasn't until the 4100 was gotten back from Champion Carburetors that it was found that the AFM Screw was of the same size and thread as the Screw in the threaded Nub Hole. THAT made it possible to turn the Knurled AFM Screw with one's Fingers, while the Engine is running.

The MAIN thing about this is that since the 3.14 is starting and idling on the Secondaries, and the Primaries are COMPLETELY CLOSED, there is NO Vacuum Advance taking place in the Distributor. That makes the 3.14 start easier because it keeps the Initial Timing from advancing when cranking.

Also, since the Curb Idle Screw on the Primaries is Completely off the Adjusting Pad when the Accelerator is off, the Secondaries, which don't change maintains the Pre-Set Idle. One can come to a stop without any Vacuum, AND the Idle never changes.

Look at the LARGE JPG of the Manual Choke Setup. At the LEFT end of the Bolt that the Manual Choke Cam pushes, you can see (pretty clearly) the AFM Screw, and how it is up against the Secondary Throttle Plate Shaft Lever. I don't think that whomever designed the 4100 intended for this to be done to it, but there it is!
I'll be ****** (well, actually I am).

I have never heard of this but it makes complete sense. You have done what FORD tried to do with years of emission calibrated carburetors and throttle solenoids.

THANX! for the education.

BTW - The original Design was HOLLEY.

- WANNA SEE A GOOD CAR WRECK? -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oO226PgSkg

KULTULZ - HAS MOVED ON TO THE HAPPY PROVING GROUNDS
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote