View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #100
L78CHEVELLE

Default Re: 40 V8 compression change all cylinders same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
i gotta add some more or i will lose sleep on this one! normally, you have a spring on your pilot, and you only briefly touch down on the seat, and the spring pushes the stone off. briefly, as in, the stone cuts quick. if you are grinding for seven seconds, you cut the hole bigger, and put the seat out to the edge of the valve. and, if really grinding for 7 seconds, its darn near time to true the stone again. and theres that much more stone grit to clean up. if your motor builder guy really had the seats that far off, well maybe your new pilot is trying to make a whole new center. with the 3 different stones it can be done, but you end up lower, and lower in the deck. you want the actual seat contact about a 1/16th in from the outer edge of the valve when done, and the valve slightly proud of the deck. i hope i am telling you things you already know, best wishes
Lot of good advise here. The 7 seconds of grinding is not all at one time. I did about 2 seconds and checked it. Still had dark spots of die. Did the grind again for about 2 seconds and still dark spots. Ended up with about total of 7 seconds on three of the seats. What else can you do if the seat does not clear up and the dye disappears? I saw no alternative but to grind the dye away. Will lap the valves and see what I have. Had an engine that would not run before with the valve seats the way they were. Hoping for the best and trying to make a better situation out of a bad situation.
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote